Your steps after a car accident in Texas can impact any insurance claim you make. Knowing what to do and what not to do when involved in any vehicular accident is essential.
Steps you should take when an accident happens
After an accident happens, you are encouraged to take the following steps if possible:
- Notify emergency services
- Move vehicles to a safe area if possible
- Take pictures of the accident scene and vehicles
- Get insurance information from other driver
- Remain calm and wait for the police to arrive
- Provide police with information and report any injuries
If your injuries prevent you from doing any of these steps, don’t panic. Remain in your vehicle until emergency services arrive and assist you. Stabilizing your injuries is the most important thing at this moment.
Things to avoid when a car accident happens
There are actions that you should avoid when any vehicular accident happens. These include the following:
- Admitting fault for the accident, even partially
- Getting angry with the other driver and making a scene
- Saying you’re sorry to the other driver, this admits guilt
- Failure to seek medical exam after the accident
- Failure to follow up with medical care prescribed at ER
It is always essential to seek a medical exam after an accident, even if you feel the injuries may be minor. Many injuries do not present themselves right away. Some injuries like a concussion or internal bleeding may also be shrugged off as a headache or upset stomach from the stress of the accident. Protect your health by visiting the emergency room after any car accident.